Postdoctoral Research Associate
Florence Leong is a Postdoctoral Research Associate, working on the RoboPatient Project. Florence obtained her PhD from the University of Melbourne, Australia in 2019 and her Master of Engineering (by research) from the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2010, both in the area of Surgical Robotics.
Florence has worked in multiple medical companies in the past years. She joined Siemens Medical Instruments, Singapore in 2011 as an R&D Automation Engineer and then a Technical Project Leader. In 2019, she briefly worked in Axxin Pty Ltd, a company in Australia which produces biomedical diagnostic instrumentations, as a Systems Engineer before moving to the UK for her postdoctoral research position.
Description of Current Research
Florence’s research focus in the RoboPatient project includes the modelling and analysing the behaviour and perception in the interaction between tissue and touch during medical examination palpation on patients. These interaction scenarios are simulated using numerical/analytic and finite element modelling methods. The observations from the models will be used to construct a surrogate model (e.g. augmented reality) to be integrated with a robotic patient platform for medical training to minimise examination practices on actual patients, hence reducing trauma and discomfort in patients.
(Still in progress)
PhD – Local Magnetic Aactuation (LMA)-based abdominal surgical robot (video)
M.Eng – An integrated radio-frequency ablation and resection device & modelling of the interaction between scalpel blade and coagulated liver tissue.
- Medical / Surgical Robotics
- Soft Robotics
- Human-robot Interaction
- Virtual Soft Tissue Modelling
- Applied Control
- F. Leong, A. Mohammadi, Y. Tan, D. Thiruchelvam, C. Y. Lai, P. Valdastri, and D. Oetomo, Disturbance Rejection in Multi-DOF Local Magnetic Actuation for the Robotic Abdominal Surgery, IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 1568–1575, 2018. Presented in IEEE ICRA2018 (spotlight video)
- A. Mohammadi, D. Somsonas, F. Leong, Y. Tan, D. Thiruchelvam, P. Valdastri, and D. Oetomo, Modeling and Control of Local Electromagnetic Actuation for Robotic-Assisted Surgical Devices, IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics (TMECH), vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 2449–2460, 2017.
- F. Leong, N. Garbin, C. DiNatali, A. Mohammadi, D. Thiruchelvam, D. Oetomo, and P. Valdastri. Magnetic Surgical Instruments for Robotic Abdominal Surgery. IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering (RBME), vol. 9, pp. 66–78, 2016.
- F. Leong, W. H. Huang, and C. K. Chui, Modelling and Analysis of Coagulated Liver Tissue and its Interaction with a Scalpel Blade, Medical & Biology Engineering & Computing (MBEC), 51(6):687–695, 2013.
- F. Leong, A. Mohammadi, Y. Tan, D. Thiruchelvam, P. Valdastri, and D. Oetomo. Magnetic Interactions of Neighbouring Stator Sets in Multi DOF Local Electromagnetic Actuation for Robotic Abdominal Surgery. In Procs. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Systems (IROS), pp. 5723–5729, 2017.
- F. Leong, A. Mohammadi, Y. Tan, D. Thiruchelvam, C. Y. Lai, P. Valdastri, and D. Oetomo, Robustness Evaluation of Internal Model Principle-based Controller in a Magnetically Actuated Surgical System (Best Presentation Award – video), in Procs. Australia New Zealand Control Conference (ANZCC), 2018.
- F. Leong, A. Mohammadi, Y. Tan, P. Valdastri and D. Oetomo. Experimentally Validated Modelling of Electromechanical Dynamics on Local Magnetic Actuation System for Abdominal Surgery, In Procs. Australasian Conference of Robotics and Automation (ACRA), 206-214, 2016.
- G. Hang, M. Bain, J. Y. Chang, S. Fang, F. Leong, A. Mohammadi, P. Valdastri, and D. Oetomo. Local Magnetic Actuation Based Laparoscopic Camera for Minimally Invasive Surgery, Australasian Conference on Robotics and Automation (ACRA), 186-191, 2015.
- F. Leong, C. K. Chui, S. Chang, I. Sakuma, and A. N. Poo, Modeling and Simulation of Tissue/Device Interaction using Standard Viscoelastic Model, In Procs IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC), 3542-3547, 2008.
- F. Leong, L. Yang, C. K. Chui, S. Chang, I. Sakuma, and A. N. Poo, A Precise Robotic Ablation and Division Mechanism for Liver Resection, in Procs. International Workshop on Medical Imaging and Augmented Reality (MIAR), 2008.
- F. Leong, J. Djuanda, P. Breven, ZMP Analysis on a 7-Link Bipedal Robot, in Procs. IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics Technology (ICMT), 2005
- F. Leong, A. Mohammadi, V. Rajagopal, Y. Tan, D. Thiruchelvam, P. Valdastri, and D. Oetomo, Dynamics of Insufflated Abdominal Wall Tissue for Magnetically Anchored Surgical Instruments. arXiv preprint arXiv:1806.09067, 2018.