Jelizaveta Konstantinova received a professional bachelor degree and engineer qualification in mechatronics from Riga Technical University, Riga, Latvia, in 2010. She joined King’s College London in 2010 and obtained MSc degree in Robotics. In 2015 she obtained her PhD degree in Robotics from the Centre for Robotics Research, King’s College London.
Description of Research
The research is centred on soft tissue examination for medical applications, such as minimally invasive surgery (MIS), on the measurement of soft tissue mechanical and tactile properties, the analysis of methods and techniques, which are making the process feasible for real life applications. Tactile sensing is eliminated during MIS and its presence would increase an accuracy and quality of the surgery, by the means of evaluating soft tissue stiffness and detecting abnormalities, as well as minimising damage to internal organs using force control during manipulations (grasping, section etc.). The main aspects of research include the understanding of probing behaviour during soft tissue examination and the creation of biologically inspired probing device able to measure soft tissue parameters over continuous path.
- Medical Robotics
- Tactile sensing for medical applications
- Interactive Perception
- Biologically inspired methods
- Behaviour-based control
- Learning Based on Demonstrations
- Konstantinova, J.; Li, M.; Mehra, G.; Dasgupta, P.; Althoefer, K.; Nanayakkara, T., “Behavioral Characteristics of Manual Palpation to Localize Hard Nodules in Soft Tissues,” Biomedical Engineering, IEEE Transactions on , vol.61, no.6, pp.1651-1659, June 2014 (doi: 10.1109/TBME.2013.2296877)
- Konstantinova, J.; Jiang, A.; Althoefer, K.; Dasgupta, P.; Nanayakkara, T. “Implementation of Tactile Sensing for Palpation in Robot-Assisted Minimally Invasive Surgery,” IEEE Sensors, Journal, 2014 – accepted for publication (doi: 10.1109/JSEN.2014.2325794)
- Konstantinova, J.; Min Li; Aminzadeh, V.; Dasgupta, P.; Althoefer, K.; Nanayakkara, T., “Force-velocity modulation strategies for soft tissue examination,” Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2013 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on , vol., no., pp.1998,2003, 3-7 Nov. 2013 (doi: 10.1109/IROS.2013.6696622)
- Konstantinova, J.; Min Li; Aminzadeh, V.; Althoefer, K.; Nanayakkara, T.; Dasgupta, P., “Evaluating Manual Palpation Trajectory Patterns in Tele-manipulation for Soft Tissue Examination,”Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC), 2013 IEEE International Conference on , pp.4190,4195, 13-16 Oct. 2013 (doi: 10.1109/SMC.2013.714)
- Konstantinova, J.; Min Li; Althoefer, K.; Dasgupta, P; Nanayakkara, T., “Palpation Strategies for Artificial Soft Tissue Examination, ” in 3rd Joint Workshop on New technologies for Computer/Robot Assisted Surgery, 11-13 Sept. 2013
- J. Konstantinova, K. Althoefer, P. Dasgupta, and T. Nanayakkara, “Salient Features of Soft Tissue Examination Velocity during Manual Palpation,” in Hamlyn Simposium 2013, p.41-42.
- Jelizaveta Zirjakova, Kaspar Althoefer, Prokar Dasgupta, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, ‘Probing behaviour for soft tissue stiffness measurement’, in 2012 World Congress of Endourology, September, 2012
- Giuseppe Cotugno, Jelizaveta Konstantinova, Kaspar Althoefer, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, “On the Dexterity of Robotic Manipulation: Are Robotic Hands Ill Designed?” in The Sixth International Conference on Cognitive Science, 23-28 June, 2014
- Nantachai Sornkarn, Jelizaveta Konstantinova, Prokar Dasgupta, Kaspar Althoefer, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, “Palpation with Controllable Stiffness for Robot-assisted Minimally Invasive Surgery ,” in International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2014, Hong Kong 30 June – 5 May, 2014
- Li M.; Faragasso, A.; Konstantinova, J.; Seneviratne, L.; Aminzadeh, V.; Dasgupta, P.; Althoefer, K., “A Novel Tumor Localization Method using Haptic Palpation Based on Soft Tissue Probing Data,” in 2014 IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation (ICRA), pp. 4188 – 4193,May 31 – June 7, 2014
- M. Li, J. Konstantinova, V. Aminzadeh, L. D. Seneviratne, P. Dasgupta, and K. Althoefer, “Real-time Visual Stiffness Feedback for Soft Tissue Palpation in a Telemanipulation Environment,” in Hamlyn Simposium 2013, p. 77-78.
- Jichun Li, Jelizaveta Zirjakova, Wei Yao, Kaspar Althoefer, Prokar Dasgupta, Lakmal Seneviratne, ‘Passive robotic platform for three-dimensional scanning of ex-vivo soft tissue’, Advances in reconfigurable mechanisms and robots I. ed. Jian S Dai; Matteo Zoppi; Xianwen Kong. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2012. p. 477-487.
- Jichun Li, Hongbin Liu, Jelizaveta Zirjakova, Benjamin Challacombe, Prokar Dasgupta, Lakmal D Seneviratne, Kaspar Althoefer, ‘Clinical Study of Prostate Tumour Identification Using a Rolling Indenter Robot’, The Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics, 1-2 July, 2012, p.85-86
- Fabio Bianchi, Giulia Bartoli, Kya Shoar, Maria R. Armas Fernandez, Valerio Pereno, Jelizaveta Zirjakova, Allen Jiang, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, ‘Adaptive Internal Impedance Control for Stable Walking on Uncertain Visco-elastic Terrains’, in 2012 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and systems, 2012, pp. 2465 – 2470