Liang He received his MSc (Distinction) in Product Design and Management from the University of Liverpool, the UK in 2016. Liang obtained a BSc degree in Renewable energy engineering and a BSc degree in Industrial design from the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology, China in 2015. After a year working for a company in Manchester and an internship at Tsinghua University in Beijing, he joined Imperial College London for his further research.
Since October 2017, Liang He has been working as a Ph.D. student at the Dyson School of Design Engineering at Imperial College London under the supervision of Dr. Thrishantha Nanayakkara.
Liang worked with the MOTION project and he is currently working on the RoboPatient project.
Description of research
His work focuses on developing novel soft robotic human phantom (RobotPatient) and using the phantom to support medical palpation training. The phantom could dynamically simulate various medical conditions and imitate a similar condition of the patient for palpation training and diagnosis. In particular, he is also trying to further understand how the role of the body in perception and action coupled during palpation tasks, and how to re-inform the human-learning process with robot-assisted approach.
- Soft robotics
- Soft actuation and Sensing
- Human-robot Interaction
- Bio-inspired engineering
- Robot-assisted training
- Liang He, Icey Lu, Sara Adela Abad Guaman, Nicolas Rojas, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara, “Soft Fingertips with Adaptive Sensing and Active Deformation for Robust Grasping of Delicate Objects”, IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RAL), 2020. [PDF] [Media]
- Xinyang Tan, Liang He, Jiangang Cao, Wei Chen, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, “A Soft Pressure Sensor Skin for Hand and Wrist Orthoses”, IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RAL), 2020. [PDF][Media]
- Granular Jamming Based Controllable Organ Design for Abdominal Palpation.
Liang He, Nicolas Herzig, Simon de Lusignan, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) 2018. Annual International Conference of the IEEE. p2065-2068. Honolulu, USA, July 2018.
- Soft Fingertips with Adaptive Sensing and Active Deformation for Robust Grasping of Delicate Objects.
Liang He, Qiujie Lu, Sara-Adela Abad, Nicolas Rojas, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2020.
- Precise In-Hand Manipulation of Delicate Objects using Soft Fingertips with Adaptive Sensing and Active Deformation.
Qiujie Lu*, Liang He*, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, and Nicolas Rojas. IEEE International Conference on Soft Robotics (RoboSoft) 2020.
- A Soft Pressure Sensor Skin for Hand and Wrist Orthoses.
Xinyang Tan, Liang He, Chen Wei, Thrishantha Nanayakkara. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2020.