Liang He received his MSc (Distinction) in Product Design and Management from the University of Liverpool, the UK in 2016. Liang obtained a BSc degree in Renewable energy engineering and a BSc degree in Industrial design from the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology, China in 2015. After a year working for a company in Manchester and an internship at Tsinghua University in Beijing, he joined Imperial College London for his further research.
Since October 2017, Liang He has been working as a Ph.D. student at the Dyson School of Design Engineering at Imperial College London under the supervision of Dr. Thrishantha Nanayakkara.
Description of research
His work focuses on developing novel soft robotic human phantom (RobotPatient) and using the phantom to support medical palpation training. The phantom could dynamically simulate various medical conditions and imitate a similar condition of the patient for palpation training and diagnosis. In particular, he is also trying to further understand how the role of the body in perception and action coupled during palpation tasks, and how to re-inform the human-learning process with robot-assisted approach.
Since 2019 November, Liang has been working on the EPSRC RoboPatient project.
Liang worked on the EPSRC MOTION project from 2017 to 2019. In 2019 June and October, Liang has been awarded the Imperial-Tokyo Tech Global Fellowship and conducted a research visit in suzumori endo robotics laboratory in Tokyo, Japan. During the research visit, he worked closely with Professor Koichi Suzumori to develop novel 3D printed soft robotic actuators.
- Soft robotics
- Soft actuation and Sensing
- Human-robot Interaction
- Bio-inspired engineering
- Robot-assisted training
- Liang He, Icey Lu, Sara Adela Abad Guaman, Nicolas Rojas, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara, “Soft Fingertips with Adaptive Sensing and Active Deformation for Robust Grasping of Delicate Objects”, IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RAL), 2020. [PDF] [Media]
- Xinyang Tan, Liang He, Jiangang Cao, Wei Chen, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, “A Soft Pressure Sensor Skin for Hand and Wrist Orthoses”, IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RAL), 2020. [PDF][Media]
- Nicolas Herzig, Liang He, Perla Maiolino, Sara-Adela Abad, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, “Conditioned haptic perception for 3D localization of nodules in soft tissue palpation with a variable stiffness probe”, PONE-D-20-03370R2, 2020.
- Granular Jamming Based Controllable Organ Design for Abdominal Palpation.
Liang He, Nicolas Herzig, Simon de Lusignan, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) 2018. Annual International Conference of the IEEE. p2065-2068. Honolulu, USA, July 2018.
- Soft Fingertips with Adaptive Sensing and Active Deformation for Robust Grasping of Delicate Objects.
Liang He, Qiujie Lu, Sara-Adela Abad, Nicolas Rojas, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2020.
- Precise In-Hand Manipulation of Delicate Objects using Soft Fingertips with Adaptive Sensing and Active Deformation.
Qiujie Lu*, Liang He*, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, and Nicolas Rojas. IEEE International Conference on Soft Robotics (RoboSoft) 2020.
- A Soft Pressure Sensor Skin for Hand and Wrist Orthoses.
Xinyang Tan, Liang He, Chen Wei, Thrishantha Nanayakkara. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2020.
- Why accounting for the differences in tissue compliance in the lung is important to avoid injuries during ventilation? – A demonstration using a robotic Lung phantom Liang He, Florence Leong, Thilina Lalitharatne, Hasitha Wegiriya, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. [Youtube] 2020.
Teaching Assistant at Imperial College London and Royal College of Art for the module of Computing 1 and 2, Robotics 1, Mechanics 1, Robotic research project, Product design, Design for communication, Energy design, Machine learning, Gizmo projects.
Workshops & Public Engagement:
- Presentation at EMBC 2018
- Live demo Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) workshop
- Live demo at the GP workshop in University of Surrey
- Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) workshop 2018
- Live demo at Imperial Festival 2018/2019
- Presentation ICRA 2019 workshop: Soft haptic interaction modeling design and application
- Panel Chair, Workshop: Human-Robot Medical Interaction, 15th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human Robot Interaction
- Presentation at “Robotic and Artificial Intelligence” Forum, CAAI/CCF
- Organizer of Workshop on Robot-Assisted Training for Primary Care at the 2020 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems