In 2011, Nantachai Sornkarn completed his Bachelor Degree in Automation Technology at Hochschule Mannheim University of Applied Science in Mannheim, Germany. During his Bachelor degree, he did five-month industrial placement in Packaging Technology Division at Robert Bosch GmbH in Waiblingen. After having completed his Bachelor in 2011, he continued his Master degree in Robotics at King’s College London, University of London. Since January 2013, Nantachai Sornkarn worked towards his Ph.D under the supervision of Dr Thrishantha Nanayakkara within the Centre for Robotic Research at King’s College London. He graduated in 2016.
His work focuses on the investigation of the underactuated systems, internal impedance control, passive dynamics, sensorimotor network, as well as the implementation of corresponding control policy. He is currently examining the underactuated manipulators with variable stiffness. This would help in understanding of how an agent can enhance the embodied perception of the internal kinematic variables and the state of the environment by modulating its internal impedance.
- Underactuated System
- Passive Dynamics
- Embodied Perception
- Internal Impedance Control
- Sensorimotor network
- Embodiment Control
- Internal Impedance Control helps Information Gain in Embodied Perception.
Nantachai Sornkarn, Matthew Howard, Thrishantha Nanayakkara. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2014. Hong Kong, China, May 2014 PDF
- Palpation with Controllable Stiffness for Robot-assisted Minimally Invasive Surgery.
Nantachai Sornkarn, Jelizaveta Konstantinova, Prokar Dasgupta, Kaspar Althoefer, Thrishantha Nanayakkara. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2014 (Workshop). Hong Kong, China, May 2014 PDF
- The Efficacy of Interaction Behavior and Internal Stiffness Control for Embodied Information Gain in Haptic Perception.
Nantachai Sornkarn, Thrishantha Nanayakara. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2016. Stockholm, Sweden, May 2016 PDF
- Morphological Computation of Haptic Perception of a Controllable Stiffness Probe.
Nantachai Sornkarn, Prokar Dasgupta, Thrishantha Nanayakkara. PLoS ONE, June 2016 PDF
- Salient Feature of Haptic-Based Guidance of People in Low Visibility Environments Using Hard Reins.
Ranasinghe, Anuradha, Nantachai Sornkarn, Prokar Dasgupta, Kaspar Althoefer, Jacques Penders, Thrishantha Nanayakkara. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics (Volume:46, Issue: 2), June 2015
- A Biologically Inspired Multimodal Whisker Follicle.
Hasitha Wegiriya, Nantachai Sornkarn, Harry Bedford, Thrishantha Nanayakkara. 2016 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 2016
- The role of morphological computation of the goat hoof in slip reduction
S. A. A. Guaman, Nantachai Sornkarn, H. Wegiriya, and T. Nanayakkara, in 2016 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), October 2016.
- Can a soft robotic probe use stiffness control like a human finger to improve efficacy of haptic perception?
Nantachai Sornkarn, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara, IEEE Transactions on Haptics, 2016. PDF