Nicolas Herzig received his M.E. degree in mechanical engineering and his M.S. in mechatronics from Polytech Annecy Chambery, Annecy, France in 2011. After one year working for two French start-ups, he started his Ph.D studies in control engineering within the Ampere Lab (UMR CNRS 5005) at Institut National des Sciences Appliquees (INSA) de Lyon, Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France. He received is Ph.D in control engineering from INSA in 2016.
Since February 2017, Nicolas Herzig joined the Dyson School of Design Engineering at Imperial College London. He is working on the MOTION Project.
Description of research
He is focused on developing a new phantom for the abdominal palpation. Indeed, he is trying to reproduce the motion of organs during the breathing and to simulate some liver pathologies.
He is also working on position, force and stiffness control for palpation robot in order to maximize the information gain.
- Robot design
- Soft robtics
- Compliant robotics
- Non linear control
- Robot for medical applications
- A Variable Stiffness Robotic Probe for Soft Tissue Palpation.
Nicolas Herzig, Perla Maiolino, Fumiya Iida, Thrishantha Nanayakkara. Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), 2018 [Accepted].
- Nonlinear position and stiffness Backstepping controller for a two Degrees of Freedom pneumatic robot.
Nicolas Herzig, Richard Moreau, Tanneguy Redarce, Frederic Abry and Xavier Brun. Control Engineering Practice (CEP), volume 73, pp27-39, 2018.
- De la Conception à la Commande d’une Nouvelle Interface Haptique 4 Axes Hybride Pneumatique Électrique pour la Simulation d’Accouchement : le BirthSIM.
Nicolas Herzig, Ph.D Thesis, 2016.
- Stiffness Control of Pneumatic Actuators to Simulate Human Behavior on Medical Haptic Simulators.
Nicolas Herzig, Richard Moreau, Arnaud Lelevé and Minh Tu Pham. Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM) 2016, International Conference of the IEEE. p1591-1597. Banff, Canada, July 2016.
- 3D Haptic Rendering of Tissues for Epidural Needle Insertion using an Electro-Pneumatic 7 Degrees of Freedom Device.
Pierre-Jean Alès, Nicolas Herzig, Arnaud Lelevé, Richard Moreau and Christian Bauer. Intelligent Robot and Systems (IROS) 2016, Annual International Conference of the IEEE/RSJ. p5175 – 5180 Daejon, Korea, October 2016.
- Non linear Position and Closed Loop Stiffness Control for a Pneumatic Actuated Haptic Interface: the BirthSIM.
Nicolas Herzig, Richard Moreau, Tanneguy Redarce, Frederic Abry and Xavier Brun. Intelligent Robot and Systems (IROS) 2015, Annual International Conference of the IEEE/RSJ, 2015. p1612-1618. Hamburg, Germany, September 2015
- A New Design for the BirthSIM Simulator to improve realism.
Nicolas Herzig, Richard Moreau, Tanneguy Redarce. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) 2014. Annual International Conference of the IEEE. p2065-2068. Chicago, USA, August 2014